Since, by default, SSH is not enable on VMware 3.5 and 4.0, here a short post on how to let you access to your VMWare host prompt.
A reboot of the host is necessary so, before start, be sure that you have:
- Stop all Virtual machines on this host
- Put your host on Maintenance Mode
- Once on the main console screen (seeing [F2] on bottom left and [F12] on bottom right), press [ALT]+[F1] to switch to another desktop
- type “unsupported” (without double quotes)
- keying the root password when asked
- edit /etc/inetd.conf
- remove the # in front of the line starting by
- save the modification (on vi it’s :wq)
- reboot the host
#ssh stream tcp....
that’s it !